Dr. McMinn has redefined the way medicine is practiced in Birmingham, Al. He has designed his practice from the ground up to offer the patient a uniquely positive experience, which often results in improved outcomes. While Dr. McMinn fully embraces traditional western medicine, he has also changed the paradigm for the benefit of the patients, especially those who have fallen through the cracks of modern medical care. Dr. McMinn feels that attentive listening is one of the most powerful tools in medicine. He takes the time to listen to each patient, and then partners with the patient to develop a holistic plan to address every concern.
The five areas which make McMinn Clinic different are:
1. Integrative Medicine- Dr. McMinn describes this as the “expanded toolbox.” Most doctors have a toolbox, which is often limited to drugs and surgery. Dr. McMinn has worked hard to expand his toolbox, by adding other powerful tools, such as advanced nutrition, herbal therapies, acupuncture, detoxification, gut health, mind/body medicine, etc.
2. Functional Medicine- Whenever possible, we look for and treat the underlying root cause of the problem, instead of just treating the symptoms.
3. Optimization- At McMinn Clinic our goal is to help every patient be the best that he or she can be in mind, body, and spirit at every stage of life. It’s not good enough to just have the absence of disease, we want to help the patient experience vibrant living.
4. Advanced Prevention- At McMinn Clinic we don’t wait for you to get disease and then treat it with drugs. We work with you to keep you well. We look for your weakest links and address them proactively, thereby preventing disease. We take a back to basics approach (see Dr. McMinn’s “Pyramid of Wellness”) to help each patient maximize his or her wellness.
5. Compassion and Kindness- McMinn Clinic has unabashedly brought true caring back to medicine. From the first phone call and with every interaction with every staff member, we want our patients to feel like they have friends in health care who really care about them.
Dr. McMinn has been an instructor at the Harvard University School of Medicine, Brown University School of Medicine, and Michigan State University School of Medicine. He is currently an Assistant Professor at the UAB School of Medicine, in the Department of Family and Community Medicine, and is the Course Director for the Integrative Medicine Elective at UAB School of Medicine.
Dr. McMinn has been featured on: Fox News, Birmingham Medical News, Birmingham News, Birmingham Weekly, and Natural Awakenings Magazine.
Lindsay Mathews is a registered nurse and Integrative Nutrition Health Coach. She graduated with her BSN from Samford University in Birmingham, AL in 2011. Subsequently, she started her nursing career out in critical care both in neonatal care and adult care. Lindsay realized early on in her nursing career that she wanted to be a part of preventative medicine.
She has worked with Dr. McMinn for the past 4 years helping patients at the McMinn Clinic based on a functional or "root cause" approach. She works with patients serving as an educator and advocate both one on one and in group workshops. She is passionate about sustainable practices of healthy eating and living.
If you spot her in the office, you will most likely see her infamous "mud" superfood smoothie in tote. Some of her favorite health topics include: gut health, Blue Zones, breast health prevention and detox.